“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1Corinthians 1:18 (NKJV)
Sometimes the best way to understand the value of something is to evaluate what would happen if it did not exist. For example, there is much controversy over using certain types of energy because of issues of price, pollution, or international trade. But, only when the world is imagined without a form of energy can we really see the impact. For example, the day that gasoline is not available, or costs too much, for you to to drive a car, or coal or oil is not there to heat your home — that’s when we know what energy is really worth! It’s worth jobs, and staying warm, and traveling for work or pleasure. Suddenly necessity and life factor into the evaluation, and answers become much more personal! That’s the way it is with the Cross of Christ. Imagine life without it! If you know someone who has not trusted Christ – they have life without the Cross. They have:
- No evidence of the depth to which God will go to love us. They may think they just don’t belong…
- No understanding of their intrinsic value to God, even if we are hated or devalued by people. They may think they must please everyone…or try…no matter how it hurts them.
- No way to reconcile their relationship with God and know Him.
- No way to be forgiven for sins that they have committed, hate to commit, and will commit over their life time.
- No peace in their heart that frees them to live for Him the best they can, knowing they will fail, but that they cannot be separated from His love by any means known to man, even death.
- No Holy Spirit to guide and correct and grow them into spiritual maturity. No “greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world.”
- No Heaven! Since there is no way to earn their way there, they are doomed.
Big Lie #1 Is False and We Can Demonstrate It!
We fight Big Lie #1 with our TESTIMONY, with the WORD of God, with the rich knowledge of our “before Christ” and “after Christ” and what wonder He has worked in us. Every person needs to be able to share their testimony with the gospel embedded in it! You fight Big Lie #1 with your life every time you share your “3-Word Testimony.”
Big Lie #1 is False and We Can Explain It!
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the explanation of the ways in which the lie distorts what God has done through His Son. You fight Big Lie #1 with the Word of Truth: 1 Corinthians 15:1-8, and Acts 2, where the truth is explained to thousands by Peter when the Holy Spirit made a fisher of fish into a fisher of men! With the story of a man, a stone cold killer, who became a missionary to the world. With the story of a businesswoman who provided a home for the church — a home that became a hub of ministry.
The enemies of Christ and the Cross race about in a frenzy, doing all they can to eliminate Christian crosses (even ones in the middle of the desert) from the public landscape — because they are afraid.
They are afraid of changed people, like you, who have trusted Christ for salvation, who have living in them the Holy Spirit, who are unafraid of whatever the world can throw at you.
They are afraid of our prayers and of our impact on their culture of meanness, death, and greed. They are afraid that they will lose their power! And they do lose their power because they have believed the Lie. We have realized that God loves us and we are more able, more powerful, and more confident than we have ever dreamed!
We know that the God of everything loves us, and listens to us, and is making a place for us in Heaven. We can go on being His forever – and we know how to tell everyone else how to get there, too!